Monday, July 21, 2008

BLOWING UP SUMMER....

Ok, Ok.... So it's been two months since I've posted a blog on my site. Sorry. Summers are worth their weight in gold to me and so I spend every spare moment I have doing things that I can only do for three months out of the year. Unfortunately for my blog, it gets pushed down the list of priorities. Anyhow, this summer has been spectacular so far! From partying up at Bear Lake to shooting up things down in Antimony, I'd say so far this summer has been a success! Here is round two of our explosions up at Bear Lake..... My most beautiful friend Jeff did a masterful job of compiling them into this inspiring and spiritual video....




Now, on to other things (blowing up things that is.....) We continued the tradition of blowing up a microwave down in Antimony......



And my brother-in-law introduced me to a wondrous thing called TANNERITE. Now let me preface this with a story. Dan, the brother-in-law, had two half pound portions of this stuff that we put in two half liter water bottles. We have had our experiences with the whistling pete bombs and figured that this stuff would be one of those with a little extra punch. (Never mind that on the bottle it came in it says to be AT LEAST a hundred yards away from the stuff when detonating....) We figured we would test the stuff inside a dryer that we found out at the dump outside of town (its amazing what you can find in small town dumps...) and so we got the dryer, put the bottle inside of it and closed the door. We put an "X" on the outside of the door so as to give us some reference to where the bottle was inside the dryer. We set the dryer on top of an old refrigerator that was sitting on a make shift firing range and faced the front of the dryer towards where we were going to shoot. After looking at our little setup we worried that the explosion would just blow the door off so we found some wire and wrapped it around the outside of the dryer to keep the door shut.


So we drove my father-in-laws truck about eighty yards down the road and set up Dan's AR-15 to shoot at it. After Dan got it sighted in we decided that I would have the honor of taking the first couple of shots. I set myself up, sighted in, held my breath, and pulled the trigger.... All I remember from that point is seeing an explosion through the scope, getting smacked in the side of the face with something, and falling to the ground behind the pickup. As I am gathering myself together I look over to see Dallas, another in law in the family, crouched over holding his hands over his face.... My first thought, and I think I said it out loud, was "HOLY SH*T." and then "WHAT THE HELL DID WE DO?!" I felt blood running down the side of my face and I'm seeing Dallas with a gash across the bridge of his nose and swollen eyelids. (Dan didn't get a single scratch the fag....) We looked around us and see the whole front panel of the dryer lying in the sage brush not twenty feet to the side of us.... The wire that we had so ingeniously put on to hold the door shut had been blown off with the whole front panel and had struck Dallas and I over eighty yards away....

After we gathered ourselves together and addressed our wounds we went to assess the damage. Since we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into, we didn't think to take our cameras up to document all of this, but let me assure you, there was NOTHING left of the dryer except for the bottom panel that had been IMPALED into the fridge....

(I went up after this whole fiasco and took a couple of shots of the damage....) Although this fridge has a bunch of holes in it, it WAS rectangular when we put the dryer on top of it..Here's a picture of the front panel that landed next to us.....(If you look real close you can see the ONE shot it took me to blow this thing up. It's below the bottom right corner of where the door would be...)

Turns out this stuff blew the dryer to pieces with a blast diameter of around 150 yards....

THANK HEAVENS WE HAD A SECOND BOTTLE FULL OF THIS STUFF!!!.....(And thank heavens for a matching washer at our small town dump!)


This first video explains what we we're gonna do, this second video explains where we we're gonna shoot it as well as what happened with our first fiasco.....

Here's Dan with the honors...(It took him TWO shots compared to my ONE...)

And finally, here is the aftermath......

So after reading this blog you might think that blowing things up is all I do all summer. I wish that was the case but it's not. I have done plenty of boating and xboxing and BBQing and relaxing with my family to make this summer an already successful one! (BTW, it took me over TWO HOURS to post this blog with all of these videos, so you'd better like it!!!)

3 comments:

Brando Commando said...

This post makes up for your 2-month drought! I don't know what it is, but for some reason blowing up things is cool! Those snowman decorations looked tons better with TNT exploding in them!

JB Hellstrom said...

Inspirational

Matthew Glenn said...

LoL I didn't think you could get more hick, but you keep going and going.....lol Good thing you weren't seriously injured.